Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Judging and Blogging....

My new blog is going to be a place where I can express my thoughts and opinions about a variety of issues. However, I think there is a topic I consider very important that I should make clear that my blog won't be about: judging others.

I try hard not to judge others, but like anyone else, at times I do. I have a variety of friends and family who make very different life choices than me, and my choices are different from their choices. I value their relationships with me and respect them, and they show the same respect towards me. Wouldn’t life be boring if all of my family and friends were incredibly similar to me? If that were the case, I would miss out on so many great friendships and experiences in this life.

I have not walked in anyone else’s shoes but my own nor do I want to. I do not pretend to know exactly what other people have experienced even though I may be able to relate to some degree. I do not pretend to know how God will judge any of us, and it is not my place to speculate His righteous, perfect judgments. My job is to “work out [my] own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philip. 2:12).

I love hearing/reading experiences of other people. It helps me learn. Wise people learn from other people—both from their successes and mistakes. I enjoy respectful, enlightening discussion about a variety of topics. I like the occassional disagreements at times when it comes to politics...Mika and AlyCat always gives me a run at this!

In short, I just want to be sure everyone knows that my thoughts and opinions are never intended to be judgmental or condescending to anyone. It may come off like it at times, because of my personality, but we all have strong personalities that often times can reflect something different than what is intended. People can disagree respectfully and share their own experiences, and hopefully we all become better people through listening, learning, and understanding. I appreciate honest, thoughtful discussion, and I hope to receive a variety of comments on my blog in the future!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well round 2 has come...oh and did you read my new blog yet...read it. Anyways I thought that it was good for you to clear up ur stand point on this issue. Alot of our family needs to take this one to the bed cuz some of us including myself can get caught up in the whole judging world. It's hard not to judge ur own family members especially if they're younger than u but still we can only give advice and then shutup. Only that person can change their own outcome.

Anonymous said...

Ya I have gone to the temple in the morning!!! I couldn't before in the past....get me.

Jen said...

thats a hard one...we all judge to some degree or another,..without even realizing it sometimes...I usually am caught judging someone based on behavior and history..butttt always with an open mind that I may be wrong....now blog something funny!